Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Terri’s Top 10 Badass Mama Movies!



Last weekend an incredible thing happened – I actually had a moment to myself. Well, more than a moment. I had an entire 24-hour period of Terri-time. And I’m not ashamed to admit that the lack of children, grandchildren, spouse, chores and friends was a glorious experience. 

I did what every other busy mom would do, I took an afternoon off, ordered take-out and watched a few kickass, heroine-themed flicks that made me proud to be a woman.  But first, I scribbled a list of favs - movies that met my criteria for badassery babes. My protagonist had to be someone who saved herself, used her intelligence and strength to get shit done, and made women me proud of my gender. 

Not one to waste a good list, I’m sharing mine with you. Here’s hoping you’ll soon have some me-time. Pop one of these fearless female flicks in and be inspired! (That is, once you get off the couch.)


Terri’s Top 10 Badass Mama Movies! (In order)

# 10 Bonnie and Clyde. Yes, this movie is from 1967, but it stars Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker…  and I am a fan of both! Bonnie was beautiful, stylish and headstrong. She went after what she wanted and was one fashionable gangster. And Faye Dunaway plays her divinely. Love this movie.

  #9 Pitch Perfect. Okay, so she’s not fighting aliens or running for her life, but I LOVE everything about the Fat Amy character played by Rebel Wilson. She’s hilarious, sure of herself, cocky and blunt. She is me. And I love her for that.




#8 The Silence of the Lambs. Jodie Foster plays Clarice Starling brilliantly, and her driven, dedicated professionalism and desire for justice makes Clarice strong AND powerful. Her portrayal of an FBI cadet courageously pursuing psychotic serial killer, Buffalo Bill, is spot-on. She may not look like a typical badass, but her bravery and intelligence is always present, and I enjoy every minute of it.



#7 Foxy Brown. Oh yes, we’re going back in time once again… this time to 1974. Pam Grier plays the tough girl out for revenge and, when I was a kid, Foxy was my first black action heroine. I loved her, AND I loved Pam Grier. My favorite quote: “Shut your raggedy-ass up, and sit the f*ck down!”


 
#6 Alien – with Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley. To be honest, Ripley is by far the #1 female bad ass in all Hollywood. If I were ranking her on fearlessness, bravery, determination and strength – she would be at the top of this list. She escapes death from a terrifying alien a grand total of four times! She holds her own with any other male hero that’s ever been written, and she’s the toughest of the tough. So why is she #6 on my list? Because this movie scares the shit out of me. That’s why. 

  
#5 The African Queen. If you’re not a fan of Katharine Hepburn, then you should be! In 1951 she played in a little movie called The African Queen with one of the sexiest Hollywood stars who ever lived, Humphrey Bogart. Hepburn plays Rose Sayer, a strong-willed woman who says and does what she wants – much like Katharine Hepburn herself. 




# 4 Thelma & Louise. It pained me put this 1991 movie at #4, because it really is one of my all-time favorites. Yes, it starts out bad… with the attempted rape and murder. But then it turns into a road trip that turns them both into outlaw criminals. I love watching timid, sweet Thelma come into her own as a fearless woman – right to the very end.



#3 Terminator 2: Judgment Day with Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. This is a woman leading the human resistance, fighting murderous robots, and preventing the apocalypse – all while being mom to a future martyr. Plus, she looks awesome! She makes me want to do military drills and try for that one pull-up. She’s one tough mama, and I love her for it!




#2 Kill Bill. The Bride performed by Uma Thurman is one of the best of the best, and I really ping-ponged between this and my #1 because I honestly love watching both. This woman survives an assassination attempt, awakens from a coma, kills her rapist and goes on a bloody revenge killing spree that lay waste to her former band of beautiful assassins, in part while wearing the get up as Bruce Lee in Game of Death. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and The Bride proves this over, and over, and over again. 

 So what is my favorite bad-ass female go-to movie?

#1. The Matrix, with Trinity, performed by Carrie-Anne Moss. It’s the first movie that really gets to me. She dodges bullets, defies gravity, blazes her guns and keeps a straight, beautiful face while doing it. She’s the ultimate stuntman heroine, especially on a motorcycle. She dominates nearly every scene she is in during this film, and is definitely my number one favorite.

There you go my lovelies. My favorites. I'd like to compile a list of YOUR favorites too - and why you would recommend them. Message me or comment below. Let me know what inspires you!



Stay beautiful, friends!
~ Terri Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!!