Everybody wants to look their best around the holidays. Whether you celebrate Christmas, the Solstice, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve or something entirely different, it always feels nice to show up to a work, social or family event in a new dress. But we all know money gets tight around the holiday season. Between gifts, entertaining or just because the cost of heating your home so you don't freeze is so high, nobody wants to spend a penny more on their wardrobe than they have to. Forget sacrificing style and comfort and check out our top five plus size picks for under $30.
1. According to Marie Claire, a combination of black and blue is just the thing for this winter's fashion. Big name designers like Caroline Herrera, DKNY and Marc Jacobs all mixed hues of navy and black in their runway shows. If you're not feeling the dark blue and black but still want to channel this trend, take a look at this pleated mock-chiffon frock in aqua and black. With short sleeves, a rounded neckline and a slimming center color block, this dress is sure to make you look and feel your best no matter what you're doing for the holidays. A removable fabric belt allows you to highlight your waist or wear it with extra ease, making this dress flattering for a number of body shapes. And how can you argue with $15?
2. Every girl needs one reliable little black dress. At $25, this dress from Deb is the highest priced item on our list but well worth the splurge. You can wear it multiple times on multiple occasions, not just for the 2013 holiday season. The front is flat and nipped at the waist, ensuring that, no matter what your body shape, you look your absolute best this holiday season. This fit-and-flare A-line dress has a scoop neckline with a lace illusion back - a flesh-colored modesty panel ensures you can wear your favorite bra without worrying about it peeking through. A line of bows down the back will make you feel extra festive.
3. The Pantone color of the year for 2014 is "Radiant Orchid" - a light and flirty eye-popping purple. Ring in the new year and get a jump start on the trend with this strapless, empire waisted number from 10dollarmall.com. True to the source name, this attention-grabbing dress will run you a mere $10. This dress isn't for the faint of heart - it's got a purple faux-satin finish and a line of beading under the bust, drawing the eye to your assets.
4. Looking for something a little more classic for your Christmas office party? This little number comes in red and brown and features a flattering shallow V-shaped neckline. The high-low hem keeps you on trend while the ample coverage ensures you feel like the vampy, grown up woman that you are. Pair it with a sassy little cardigan for a little more arm coverage or play up your bitchin' biceps and leave your arms bare. Flattering for body shapes that need a little more nipping at the waist (like the classic hourglass, which doesn't always look the best in empire waisted frocks), this dress is just the ticket, drawing the eye to the narrowest part of your body. This Ashley Stewart number will run you a hair under $20 from Amazon.com
5. If you're searching for modesty, you can't beat this patterned velour dress. Available in black, silver, or purple, this surplice-style dress has 3/4 sleeves and a hem that hits at the knee on most women (the dress is 42" long, so the extra tall might want to look elsewhere for a modest holiday dress!) The empire waist and a-line shape are super flattering on a variety of body shapes and sizes. At the $20 mark, this dress won't break your holiday budget.